Friday, March 5, 2010

Sometimes, when it's not too cold, I like to sit in my room, in the dark, alone, with a blanket and my thoughts. Tonight, this was the case. I sat there and let my mind wonder. I thought about the many people that have been betrayed in their lives. Which is most of all of us, I'm sure, but I began to compare. Which kind of betrayal is worse? For me the majority of my relationships have been on the surface. Few people have gotten down to my core and that may be surprising for some but it doesn't make it any less true. I protect myself. And although my heart may be on my sleeve, my truths and secrets I keep in a more safe place. I only give so much at one time. This I have found to be a favored defense mechanism. I keep you only so close. Because the few that have breached this wall that I've built, never failed to destroy my little safe place. Then again I'm quite positive that I have done my fair share of betrayal. I have even successfully betrayed myself, which is easier than you may think. So my question is this... is it worse to be betrayed by those you trust in a deep and profound way or to be betrayed by your very own thoughts and weaknesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment